1. What are the benefits of Water/Methanol injection?1. Greatly reduced EGTs - Decreases of 250 degrees F are common using a 50/50 water/methanol mix. Increased EGTs are an engine killer in today's performance diesel world.
2. Low cost power - Where else can you get 50-100 HP for as low as $549? What other modification does all these things with one system?
3. Greatly increased air charge densities - 3-5 psi boost increases are common with liquid intercooling.
4. Decreased emissions - increased combustion efficiency means less particulate matter and NOX emissions.
5. Fuel economy increase - increase your fuel economy up to 10%-15% (1-3 mpg).
6. Great for towing - more power/cooler EGT's to haul the heaviest loads.
2. Why is Water/Methanol injection so effective on Diesels?Unlike gasoline engines, the power in a turbo diesel is largely a function of fuel. The problem with continually adding fuel is that you create an over-fueling condition and reach a point where the exhaust gas temperatures become prohibitive (over 1300 degrees F). A 50/50 water/methanol mix will decrease EGT's approximately 200-300 degrees F while increasing power 50-100HP.
Power is increased through:
? Air charge cooling - Water/methanol usually lowers air charge temps over 200 degrees F. Low air temps makes denser air charge which provides more molecules of oxygen for combustion.
? Combustion conditioning - the methanol acts as a combustion catalyst as well as a cooling agent. Water vaporization inside the combustion chamber increases torque and power output through "the steam engine" effect.
Where else can you get this kind of power with cooler EGT's, reduced emissions, and more fuel economy?
3. Is this technology new with Turbo Diesel?Water/methanol injection has been used extensively for years in high performance truck/tractor pullers. With the elevated boost levels required for peak power, water/methanol is a common means of cooling the intake charge and reducing exhaust gas temps. Also, truckers have used water injection for years to increase fuel mileage.
4. What power gains can I expect?In diesel applications, no additional tuning is needed to maximize the benefits.
? A cooler, denser air charge is now delivered to the combustion chamber ?? this allows more diesel fuel to be burned than before.
? The methanol in the injection fluid burns as a fuel. This directly impacts power production.
? The water vaporizes in the combustion chamber, creating rapidly expanding steam which pushes down on the piston to create additional torque.
The extra power produced depends heavily on the concentration of methanol used and the volume injected. Typical power gains in 5.9L and larger applications with a 50% mixture of water/methanol are 50-100 WHP and a 100-150ft lb-ft increase in torque.
5. Can the Snow Performance system improve my fuel economy?Yes. The MPG-MAX? systems are designed to do just that. Both the diesel and gasoline MPG-MAX? systems are specifically designed to inject a very small and precise amount of water/methanol under normal driving conditions such as accelerating away from a stop light or driving up a slight grade.
? Diesel MPG-MAX systems benefit from the methanol directly due to the fact that it combusts as a fuel, allowing for brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) to be reduced. Typical gains are 10-15% better fuel economy or 1-3 MPG. In some cases and in independent testing, gains of up to 30% have been observed in diesels.
6. What fluid can I use in my system?? Boost Juice??: This is the best fluid to use and is Snow Performance??s 49% methanol, 51% water mixture that can be shipped to your door or picked up at a local dealer. (If you are using your washer reservoir as the injection tank, Boost Juice?? is a